- TitleMy Grandma Reads Me Books
- AuthorInja Kim
- IllustratorJinhee Lee
- ComposerHyun Kim
- DateSep. 21, 2009
- Rights sold to China
- Outstanding Book Award Winner (2010)
- Kids Hankook Daily Award Winner
- Kyobo Bookstore Outstanding Children’s Book Award Winner (2009)
- Book of the Year by Morning Reading Organization (2010)
- Endorsed by National Library for Children and Young Adults, Dongwon Book Club, School Library Journal
On a daily basis, Minjeong reads a picture book to her grandma who has difficulty reading letters. She remembers the time when her mom was reading picture books to her. While listening to her mother read and following along in the book, Minjeong improved her skill in reading. It has been a year now since she started reading books to grandma. However, when grandma reached her 80th birthday, Minjeong was surprised as grandmother volunteered to read the picture book for the family. The book she reads is the story of the author’s mother and daughter. By reading this book together and learning from it, family members can become more intimate with each other.
Furthermore, the illustrator, Jinhee Lee, painted beautiful oil pictures to depict the scenes described in the picture book. Minjeong loved to read and show these images to her grandmother. For instance, she liked the penguin who dreamed of flying to the sky. As grandma read the book, she mistakenly thought that penguins could fly too. The illustrator drew the shape of a flying bird to depict the penguin’s shadow. Readers can enjoy the implications of such illustrations as they peruse and read the picture book.